Monday, October 26, 2009

Strange Candy by Laurell K. Hamilton

3 out of 5 Stars
I didn't realize Laurell K. Hamilton had done "Strange Candy"- so when I saw it on the shelves I thought I was in for a treat. (I was right, haha.) Don't pick this book up if you are looking for a book full of sexy stories such as in the Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry series from LKH, but if you are a fan of her work- go ahead and check this out to see how she handles some short stories. Some of these stories were skippable, some were so-so and some were awesome.They are a mixture of light and dark- a perfect combination if you ask me.

I just have to throw this out there- I think the cover is silly. The stories have nothing to do with bondage. I would love the cover if it had something to do with ... something? anything? from the stories. Maybe I'm just too dense to get it ;]

Some of the introductions to the short stories left a bad taste in my mouth and some of them made me laugh. The book itself was worth the read, though.
The worlds in each story overlap, which is a pro for the entirety of the book. LKH really is a great story teller and these stories are creative. It was nice that she didn't get wrapped up in the description of her world/characters, it made me want more.

Ok- I liked this book. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the earlier Anita Blake novels by LKH. It isn't one of those books I would read twice, but it is good for what it is - a book of short stories.

Book Details:

  • Hardcover: 272 pages
  • Publisher: Berkley Hardcover, October 3, 2006
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0425212017
  • ISBN-13: 978-0425212011

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin