Monday, November 16, 2009

An Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris


4 out of 5 Stars


My Review:

"An Ice Cold Grave" is the third installment by Charlaine Harris in the Harper Connolly series. This is by far my favorite of the three I've read. (I still need to read the 4th! Anyone want to donate it? ;o] ) Once again, it was a quick, fun read. As in the first two novels, Harper can locate dead bodies and relive the last moments of their death. Her ability has limitations- she can see how they died but not who killed them. There were additional plot twists in this book that made it more fun to read than the previous two. Yay! I love when a series gets better with each book! This really makes me want to read the 4th.

I don't have many complaints about this book except for one big one. Harper is STILL harping (haha) on her past! It is brought up frequently in this novel... just like in the first and second. Lets hope that she gets some closure in the fourth book so that we can shut some doors and open some new ones. I'm sick to death of dwelling in the past. Lets move forward, Miss Connolly! She finally establishes the relationship she needs with Tolliver, so I think we're headed in the right direction. 

So, in An Ice Cold Grave, we find Harper and Tolliver requested once again to a small town with excellent secondary characters. This case is definitely one of the most heartbreaking and emotionally exhausting cases Harper has had so far... Several young boys have gone missing. They've mostly been reported as runaways- but our heroine quickly disproves this theory when she uncovers the bodies. Uh oh, Doraville, NC has a serial killer living in their quaint little town... So, who is the local serial killer? 

I can't wait to read the next book- the mystery in this novel was much darker than the ones in the previous two. I also think that the unique relationship between Tolliver and Harper will make the next book better... It will give them new obstacles. (How will others react that knew them as brother/sister? How will they handle all that change? It has to bug out their siblings, right?)

This was a relaxing read... so go for it. Start this series. You know you want to ;] 

Book Details:
Publisher: Berkley Hardcover, September 25, 2007
Hardcover: 280 Pages
ISBN10: 0425217299
ISBN13: 9780425217290 

Other books in this series in the order they should be read:
 1. Grave Sight
2. Grave Surprise
3. An Ice Cold Grave
4. Grave Secret 

2 comments :

  1. This was my favorite book in the series. I haven't read the last book yet because my book set is all paperbacks and I HATE HATE HATE when a series starts off in paper back then ends with a hardcover. So I refuse to buy it right now. In a way that's good because it gives me something to look forward to when the paperback copy finally gets out. Meanwhile, there are many more Charlaine Harris books to read!!

    :o)

    MsM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when you said you're going to wait until the paper back comes out. That is how I am too!!! I have all the Sookie novels in paperback except for the newest 3 and it drives me nuts that they're not all the same format. Haha!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin