Monday, January 11, 2010

Shades of Midnight by Lara Adrian Review

3 out of 5 Robots!


My Review:
Shades of Midnight by Lara Adrian is the seventh Midnight Breed Novel. This is the first in the series that I have read- that may have something to do with my lackluster enthusiasm towards the novel. I normally don't get too into a book when I start the series midstream.

Shades of Midnight begins with a sad prologue- you'll find yourself wanting to know more after reading of a gory attack in Alaska. Conveniently enough, new Order recruit Kade is from Alaska and will be sent back to find out who the new serial killer in town is. This hits home harder than he thought, could the Breed gone Rogue be his twin brother? 

During the course of his interrogation, he meets cute, blond Alexandra. She's a pilot with some hidden talents and her own family secrets. I think we can all guess at this point that Alexandra and Kade are going to be lovers... mates, together forever. They make a good, believable couple.

This book had great potential. The plot was good, but was too slow. I feel like this book could have been a little shorter. More action, more love. I felt bogged down by both Kade and Alexandra constantly feeling guilty. There wasn't very much character development, which frustrated me a little. I felt like I didn't know Kade or Alexandra. 

At the conclusion of this book it looks like the author is setting us up to take a ride with Jenna and Brock. (I'm not positive if they're the next couple, but I'm totally going to read that book if so because I love Jenna's story line. She is one of the only characters- other than The Ancient- that I was intrigued by in this book.) 

I wasn't very into Shades of Midnight. It bored me for the most part, at least until chapter 23. I still liked trying to figure out who the killer was. That part was fun for me- I also loved Kade's family and his talent. Kudos to the author for having him be in touch with the wolves. That was awesome! I'm not giving up on this series yet, I'm going to read the first few books in the series and from there decide if I will stick with The Midnight Breed novels. From what I've heard, I will love books 1-4. 

Book Details

Published: December 29, 2009; Dell
Paperback: 383 Pages
ISBN10: 0440245265

Books in this series in the order that they should be read:
1. Kiss of Midnight
2. Kiss of Crimson
3. Midnight Awakening
4. Midnight Rising
5. Veil of Midnight
6. Ashes of Midnight
7. Shades of Midnight

10 comments :

  1. Very well written review Jules. I felt the same way about the characters. I felt very disconnected from them and the book. Normally when I read a book I'm drawn into it but I just didn't feel that with this book. I'm not giving up on the series either because I've been a big supporter of The Breed books since the beginning. Hopefully Brocks book will be better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!
    I know it seems like Jenna and Brock is going to be the same couple.
    I'm too happy about this book but it was ok.
    i also rate it as 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it, Bells! I thought of you while I was writing it. Haha.

    Pat, I'm not surprised we had the same feelings about this one... I swear we have the same ratings on all books! Haha. Love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! I haven't read this series so I can't add much..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Mandi, I love your comment. It made me snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so behind on this series. I got up to book 4 and I really enjoyed the series. I think you'll like the first couple of books =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, I totally agree with your review. I like the series but i found this book slow and not as good at the rest of the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes you definitely have to read the first 6 books to really get a feel for the entire plot. The 7 book leads off from the 6th which explains why they are in Alaska in the 7th book. I'm not done reading it yet, but I'm a bit biased, because I enjoy everything that Lara puts out. There are theories that Jenna will end up with Brock, but one won't know till the book is out. Can't wait either, the cover for Taken by Midnight is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Misel & Leanne, I'm glad you guys liked the review. Thanks for stopping by and being new followers! I'm excited to have you =) I think I will enjoy the first part of the series.

    Marie Francis- I think you're right... I'm going to read the first 6 books in the series and then reread this one. I can't wait to actually get more background on the characters. Thanks for stopping by! Glad to have you =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin