Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton

4 out of 5 Robots!

My Review:
The third installment of the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, Circus of the Damned, was the book that got me straight hooked on this series. I liked the first two books enough to keep reading obviously, but this is the book that grabbed at me and made me want to hurl myself into the Anita Blake universe. The first time I read this book was sometime ago- rereading the series for the Anita Blake Challenge hosted by BCC.

Anita is still hard at work as an animator and preternatural assistant to the police force. Jean-Claude, Master of the City, is hounding Anita about becoming his human servant- and surprise surprise she ends up near the gorgeous vampire she is trying to avoid. That is right, a grotesque, blood-drained body looks like it could be the work of a pack of rogue vampires and it leads her right to the Circus of the Damned. This is what I love about Anita Blake and her world- there is no down time. Anita has a full plate and that gives me action, action, action. I love a good Urban Fantasy with nonstop commotion. I mean, she has a lot of silly, feisty characters to beat down in this book! Don't worry- Hamilton is brilliant so you won't get lost in the hustle and bustle.

Oh, I can't forget, although I'd like to, we are introduced to Richard. Ya know, back when he was likable. In the later novels he becomes a bane to my existence. Whiny. Temperamental. He hates who he has to be and who Anita has become. Boo hoo. He is great in this book though, haha. I like that I can dislike Richard in later novels- I find that I don't quite love a book if there isn't at least one character I can have a strong disdain for. Wow, rambling. This definitely isn't one of my most well thought out reviews...

My only complaint about Circus of the Damned was the immensely tiring description of clothing and weaponry. This isn't a huge complaint, sometimes it works when an outfit is painted with the author's vision. However, sometimes I like dressing the character too. ;) Erm... other times I'm just being impatient, dying to know what happens next and when there is piddle paddle in my way I get frustrated. Haha.

I loved this book. Fantastic, fast paced, satisfying. If you're into vampires and urban fantasy I recommend you hop on this series.

For my reviews on LKH's other work, click here.To check out the Anita Blake Challenge hosted by Book Chick City click here

Book Details:
  • Paperback: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Berkley Trade (January 2, 2007)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0425201392
  • ISBN-13: 978-0425201398
Other books in this series in the order that they should be read: 
The title links below take you to Amazon.com.

10 comments :

  1. Haven't read any of these books. Well they sound nice..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, they're pretty good. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great review! And you have the audacity to not like your reviews. *rolls eyes* I suppose I know what you mean though cause I say the same things about mine.

    What I liked about this review is the way you described the book. I started book 1 of the series and didn't finish it. Your description of this book makes me want to start over just so I can read this book. Great job again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I've left something for you on my blog, come by to pick it up anytime. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nastassia- This is such a fun series, I still need to read Flirt! Can't wait though.

    Bells- I love you and your comments. Why can't I comment on yours :(

    Another Daydreamer- I'm checking your blog out now. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Book Chick City (AB reading challenge).
    I really like your reviews of the Anita Blake series (I'm re-reading it as well).
    I like the reference to Richard back when he was still likeable. :) So true. Although I kind of still hope he'll come around...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ines! I'm glad you found me. Are you reviewing the series on a blog? I'd love to read them. And, just like you, I'm totally hoping that Richard makes a turn around :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm reviewing them as well. :) I'm not sure though if it's ok to put a link to my blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe I have been able to get into this series. Crazy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin