Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa [Review]


3.5 out of 5 Robots!

My Review:
Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa is not an ordinary novel, it is gritty and sends many messages to the reader. The story is told from the view point of a young girl in the American South. We have Hailey Trosclair, raised by a father who is burdened with unemployment and a mother who is too preoccupied with being miserable. Hailey is forced to endure real life lessons outside of the house- things as mundane as death and shallow as popularity.

Tusa's writing style is magnificent. It is confrontational and the metaphors are haunting. (After my Kindle charges I will have to come back and include some!) The characters will try to justify their actions, both good and bad, through God. I found myself constantly saying, "No! Don't do that!" and wishing that someone would take the narrator away from everything she had to deal with.  I can't relate to the characters, they're needy and selfish. That being said, I still enjoyed them and their sad realities.

Talk about a dysfunctional family. Mom? Depressed. Dad? Alcoholic. Brother? Trouble maker. Geesh, where does that leave Hailey? No wonder she is engrossed with herself. Let me just say that this book really made me thankful for the environment I grew up in.

Some have compared this novel to classics such as "To Kill a Mocking Bird." I totally don't think this will be a classic by any means, but the author does tell a compelling story. I just wish he would have given his story more time- it's a little under 200 pages. This isn't a book I will be quick to forget. If you're looking for a happy ending, don't pick up this book... otherwise, go for it. It's a quick, solid read that will take you on one helluva ride. 

Book Details:
  • Paperback: 147 pages
  • Publisher: Livingston Press (AL) (March 30, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1604890304
  • ISBN-13: 978-1604890303

2 comments :

  1. I really have to commend you for reading something a little different. Great job. Me on the other hand, I'm selfish now. I only want to read books that have smut in them. I need to escape my life from time to time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya on the escape. Haha. This book was not an escape.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin