Friday, January 15, 2010

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

3 out of 5 Robots!
 
My Review: 
I have had The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold on my book shelf for a very long time. As you know, the book was made into a movie which was released today. (I have posted the trailer below.) So- why not? Lets get this thing read and review it! I had heard so many great things about this book, so I set myself up expecting something fabulous. 

The plot is simple. Girl is murdered. Girl goes to heaven. Girl watches (and narrates the book) as her friends and family deal with her sudden death. Girl helps to try and bring said murderer to justice. The story isn't a pretty one, it is intense and will make you sad. You will feel a sense of relief when you see the family finally move on. This book hit a little close to home for me, for reasons I won't talk about here. The writer very accurately and passionately writes her characters. 

That being said a lot of the characters were two dimensional, but I did come away from the book being able to connect to some of them. There were some parts of this book that were underdeveloped- like she should have expanded on a few parts... Ruth, for instance. A "maybe" lesbian that knew almost everything Susie did through her dreams. I really wish I would have known how Ruth felt after the ending. I can't give away the ending- although I'm dying to.

The ending seemed silly to me. Gross, even. I didn't like what happened between Susie, Ruth and Ray at the conclusion of the book. I'm all for a happy ending... but... not that kind. 

This book wasn't bad by any means, it is worth one read. Just skip chapters... 3... to..hm... page 165. The first chapter grabs on to you and doesn't let you go- it put me in a frenzy wanting to find out how the family copes with the loss of Susie, how the bad guy is brought to justice. Then it turns around, it slows down... no, it comes to a total halt. Maybe there were too many flashbacks, too much of how Susie felt? I can't pinpoint this exactly.

Wow, I am really jumping around with this review, aren't I? Almost finished. The only reasons I am giving this three stars instead of two is that Sebold did a beautiful job at showing how the dynamics of the family changed after Susie's death and how the entire community reacted to the gruesome tragedy.  Also, there is one part (other than the actual murder) where I was on PINS and NEEDLES for Susie's sister. Gosh, and her father- wonderful character. I could envision him so well.

Ok- time to nurse my headache, so below is the trailer to the book's movie. I've been hearing the movie is better than the book- I'll see it when it comes out on DVD/BluRay. Anyone go see it? Thoughts??

 

Book Details: 
  • Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Little, Brown and Company (September 1, 2006)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0316166685
  • ISBN-13: 978-0316166683

11 comments :

  1. Susie's father is my favorite character of the book. I'm really hope Mark Wahlberg does justice to his character in the movie.

    I will definitely be seeing this movie because I really love the book. I'm happy that they finally stopped moving the release date around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come back and let me know what you thought of the movie! I like Mark Wahlberg, so if you tell me he does the father justice I just may go see it in theaters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to read the book really badly a few years ago but after the first chapter i had to force myself to read so i just stopped after a while. i can't read a book that doesn't fully pull me in lol. Thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! The skip chapter 3 to page 165 cracked me up. I agree, the whole Susie, Ruth, Ray thing towards the end - what was that?! And I say this without trying to give away spoilers to everyone else here, but what happened to Mr. Harvey - that just irked me. I needed much more than what was given, ya know. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there....

    Networking from Books At Midnight!!=)
    Actually, I seen that you were last and I didnt want you to go uncommented!!=)


    Some friends have been asking me to join them in reading this book and thanks to your review I wil be able to make up my mind whether I would like to.... I do want to see the movie.
    I am a little worried to see it and read it because I am a mother of 2 girls and I think when I read/watch scenarios that are very possible I get nervous and very sad.
    Thanks for the review!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, networking from books at midnight

    This is in my to be read pile and I'm really looking forward to it. I also want to see the movie. I like your review it will give me things to think about when I do read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just Your Typical Blog - (Cheryl or Amber?! LOL) - I'm glad that cracked you up, I was kinda snickering when I typed the chpt3 - pg165. And UGH that ending... I was just like she took her what... and did what with it!? AND I too needed more than what was given in the Mr. Harvey field. >.<

    Chasity- It probably would make you hold your little girls a little tighter. It does hit home for those who have been in situations similar to this. And thanks for stopping by! I love the Saturday Network =)

    April- I can't wait to see the movie either! I want to compare it to the book so badly. haha. Thanks for stopping by =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had this book on my shelf since high school (3 years ago) and I just haven't been able to read it... I have it set in my mind that I'm going to read this book before it goes out of theatres I work at the movies so I can watch them for free so I want to review it hardcore. lol I'd love to discuss the book with you.

    raschelworks@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Raschel! I had this book on my shelf for awhile too.

    Review the book quick so I can comment and discuss the ending with you! I've been dying to really discuss the ending with someone.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! You know, I have had this book in my mountain for forever, and have yet to read it. I do want to one of these days. I'll probably see the movie first though, the way I am going, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am still surprised I finished this book before the movie came out, April! I can't wait to hear what you think of the book and movie. Thanks for stopping by and commenting =]

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin