Saturday, March 5, 2016

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard [Joint Review!]

3.5 out of 5 Stars!
Truthwitch By Susan Dennard
Series: Witchlands #1
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Release: January 5, 2016
Paperback:  416 Pages
Publisher: Tor Teen
My Copy: Library
Reviewer: Julia & Shannon


Book Summary:
Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.

Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.

In a chance encounter at Court, Safi meets Prince Merik and makes him a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch. (Courtesy of Goodreads)


Julia & Shannon - Joint Review! 

1. In one sentence, how would you describe Truthwitch? 
Shannon: A good premise with an interesting magical world that didn't always deliver on its premise.

Julia: Truthwitch feels a little rushed, but the fresh take on witchery is refreshing.

2. Truthwitch is written in multiple point of views, did that work for this story? 
Shannon: This was one of the most frustrating aspects for me. I generally like third person, especially with multiple POVs. But the weird thing about this book is important moments or feelings for a character were described or seen through another character's perspective. It was so strange! It was hard to know what a character was really feeling and I felt very disconnected because of it. 

Julia: I love multiple point of views and I didn't mind it here. It is extremely frustrating though that many things that were happening were coming from a character's point of view that wasn't experiencing it. I felt zero chemistry between Merik and Safiya, this could have been the reason.

3. What did you think about the romance? 
Shannon: Well, since very little of it was experienced through the characters themselves, it felt forced. I'm usually all for enemy to lover scenarios, but it only works when the reader can really understand the turning point. But I couldn't see why they would fall in love with each other.

Julia: The "romance" between Merik and Safiya is terrible! It is forced and awkward. Didn't enjoy that at all. I do think there is an abundance of chemistry and tension between Iseult and the bloodwitch though. That is fun.

4. Favorite character? Least favorite? 
Shannon: To be honest...I am very ambivalent to the characters so I have no opinion. I didn't love anyone, but I didn't hate anyone either.

Julia: Safiya is probably my least favorite. Her reaction to her place in the ending confused me and seemed out of character... and I just didn't connect with her at all. My favorite is probably the bloodwitch. Just because he's interesting. Really wish this book would have explored the characters more.

5. What did you think about the ending? 
Shannon: It was a decent ending. It felt like an ending, but left the door open for more adventures. But in all honesty, I wasn't feeling this book so I was just kind of relieved to be done with it.

Julia: It isn't a bad ending, it is satisfying and I enjoyed it enough. Though Safiya seemed to contented with where her life led her after hearing one thing the entire book. Sorry, trying to explain myself without giving away the story.

6. Rating? Recommendation? Reading more? 
Shannon: I give it 3 stars, with saddens me because I liked Dennard's Strange and Deadly series a lot. It could have just been me and the mood I was in, but I just couldn't get into this book at all. But, your mileage may vary. I don't think I will be back for the sequel.

Julia: I gave it 4 stars because I was kept entertained the entire time I was reading it.... It felt quickly paced and there is some decent action. I wouldn't highly recommend this, but it's good and fluffy. The ending didn't really leave a cliffhanger, so this is fine as a standalone and I won't be reading the next one. I just didn't walk away caring about the characters though I enjoyed what I was reading. Lol.

2 comments :

  1. The reviews for this book have been all over the place! From what people have described I think I will probably not care for it, BUT... I want to read it so I van see exactly why readers were let down and confused (a lot of reviewers said the magic system wasn't explained all that well). I will probably get it from the library this summer. Thanks for another wonderful double review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic system was not well thought out and seemed to be riffing off of Bardugo's Grisha universe. But it was the writing style that drove me off the edge.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin