Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas [Joint Review!]

2.5 out of 5 Stars!
The Immortal Heights By Sherry Thomas
Series: Elemental #3
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Release: October 13, 2015
Paperback:  432 Pages
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
My Copy: Library
Reviewer: Julia & Shannon


Book Summary:
In a pursuit that has spanned continents, Iolanthe, Titus, and their friends have always managed to remain one step ahead of the forces of Atlantis. But now the Bane, the monstrous tyrant who bestrides the entire mage world, has issued his ultimatum: Titus must hand over Iolanthe, or watch as his entire realm is destroyed in a deadly rampage. Running out of time and options, Iolanthe and Titus must act decisively to deliver a final blow to the Bane, ending his reign of terror for good.

However, getting to the Bane means accomplishing the impossible—finding a way to infiltrate his crypt in the deepest recesses of the most ferociously guarded fortress in Atlantis. And everything is only made more difficult when new prophecies come to light, foretelling a doomed effort…(Courtesy of Goodreads)


Julia & Shannon - Joint Review! 

1. What are your general thoughts on Immortal Heights?
Shannon:  I don't really know what to think.  I know I really enjoyed the first two books but I really struggled with this one.  I could not get into it at all!  I don't know what changed between the 2nd and 3rd book but I was just really...bored.

Julia: My thoughts are full of apathetic nothingness. This book didn't do anything for me, zero emotions. I would have quit halfway through if it wasn't the last one, but I figured I owed it to myself to at least see how the trilogy ended. I thought the first one was pretty good, the second was okay.... this one? Ugh!! In all fairness, my favorite character died in the previous installment so maybe there wasn't anything else to carry me through. 

2. How did you feel about the plot?
Shannon:  It meandered too much for me.  A lot of talk, not a lot of action.  I had trouble remembering details of what happened in the previous books, so that's on me.  But I also kind of felt there wasn't much of a plot and there was a lot of treading water.

Julia: What plot? Lol. I need action in my books, especially the fantasy ones. There isn't any action here, but lots of talking about things. Come on. 

3. This is the third and final book in this series- did the characters evolve?
Shannon: I think so?  They must have?  As I mentioned, the details from the previous books are fuzzy.

Julia: The characters do evolve, but there isn't much that makes you really care for them or feel connected with them. It's all rather flat.

4. Any thoughts on the chemistry between Iolanthe and Titus?
Shannon: I always liked them together.  But I definitely liked them better when they didn't always know who each other ways or know all the secrets.  There was a lot more push and pull and it was more exciting.  The "dearest" and "darling" stuff got a little...much...for my tastes at least.

Julia: They work- that's obvious. There isn't chemistry popping out of the pages, but they've got it. Shannon's right, the dearest and darling stuff got silly. 

5. Is the ending satisfying? 
Shannon: Here's a common problem with a Big Bad.  The characters spend three books worrying about the villain, so your expectation as a reader is that the climatic showdown is going to be epic.  Unfortunately, sometimes the showdown is more of a fizzle than a bang and I think that is the case here.  But I do think it wrapped up the story well.  I didn't feel like there was any loose threads.  So in that sense, I am satisfied.

Julia: I don't have any lingering questions, though there isn't any big bang at the end to get you all worked up and happy. It's only satisfying in that, well, you know how it goes for everyone. I HATED the epilogue. I thought it was just... weird. I mean, awesome, thanks, I know what happens to the characters... but it just made my eyes roll. A lot.

6. Rating and recommendation?
Shannon:  I would give it 3 out 5 based on my boredom.  It was a real struggle to get through this book.  I'm crazy busy right now, so I really need something to hold my attention and make me want to read.  In general, I have recommended this series, but...I would put a little asterisk on the final book. 

Julia: 2 Stars, I was so bored and apathetic about the ending, plot and characters. I'm not recommending this book, though the first two were just okay. This one made me not want to recommend the others either. Kind of put a damper on the entire series.

Books in this series:
1. The Burning Sky - REVIEW
2. The Perilous Sea - REVIEW
3. The Immortal Heights

2 comments :

  1. Well damn. I just read the first book and it seemed promising - nothing special, but standard for the sort of fantasy novels I like, so this is disappointing. And I'm not connected enough to the series to feel like I HAVE to finish the series, but I was kind of hoping that I'd want to. Maybe I'll pass on this one then *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I won't be reading these books. Ha! Thanks for another great double review. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin