Monday, October 19, 2009

Touch the Dark by Karen Chance


Funny how I said you weren't getting a review today, right? Well, my honey is playing a video game he is SUPER into... so I figured I'll update with a review really quickly before we watch the new episode of Dexter we missed last night!
5 out of 5 Stars
My Review:
First of all, if you're into Anita Blake or Sookie Stackhouse... or any other novels that are similar to these- you'll love this series. I can imagine people that don't like those series digging this one. I was totally taken back by how much I loved this book! (Maybe I went into it not expecting much, and that helped its cause a little, but it was still an awesome read!) Then again, I am into books that are almost nonstop action- you know, when the heroine is constantly fighting for her life chapter after chapter? Karen Chance really throws some hot action in your face, but it isn't overwhelming at all. Let me give ya the basic plot summary...

Cassandra is a young clairvoyant who can also speak to ghosts. She was raised in a household owned by a powerful, cold-blooded, mobster-type vampire and all of his servants/affiliates. (He took her into his care at the age of 4.) When she was a teenager, she realizes that Tony (the mobster vamp) mauled her parents so that he could have total control of her life. She assists the federal government in taking Tony down- but all doesn't go according to plan. On the bright side, Cassandra runs away from Tony and escapes when all this craziness is going on. About three years later (this is where the story really begins) Cassandra is in hiding in Atlanta. Her powers (especially speaking to ghosts) has helped her stay hidden and just out of Tony's reach. However, he finally catches on to where she has been hiding... As she is getting out of town Tony's goons catch up to her and her roommate and they escape by the skin of their teeth.

Cassandra then finds herself sucked into the grotesque world of vampire politics after finding out her roommate has been deceiving her. After being drug into the vampire senate- she begins to realize she is much more powerful than she ever imagined and the vamps require her help. She has no idea who to trust or which turn to take...

I absolutely love Cassandra's personality. She is so likeable... Not whiny- practical! Compassionate - but not overtly sentimental! She is a strong woman who is looking to take control over her own life. She also never seems hopeless- does that make sense? I love that Cassie was raised in a supernatural household so she knows a lot about vamps and their politics. However, a lot of what she encounters day to day with her powers and the powers of others is new to her. Our miss Cassandra also has some interesting male lovurrrs... and we all know what this means- extreme sexual tension throughout. Haha... Choices choices. I have to say I'd find myself really into one of the male characters and then the other...and then back to the first. I guess that is just like real life though, men making stupid decisions so you're like 'ugh, what was I thinking?'

My only complaint is that the details on the vampire politics were a little long winded. Other than that, this is an awesome book and you should read it. Can't wait to post a review on the other books in this series! (Yes, I read them, so it was REALLY hard not to give you guys spoilers ;] )


Book Details:

  • Mass Market Paperback: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Roc June 6, 2006
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0451460936
  • ISBN-13: 978-0451460936
Books in the Cassandra Palmer Series in the order they should be read:
  1. Touch the Dark
  2. Claimed by Shadow
  3. Embrace the Night
  4. Curse the Dawn

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin