Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fade Out by Rachel Caine


3.5 out of 5 Stars

My Review:

The seventh installment of The Morganville Vampires, Fade Out, was no disappointment- It brought fast paced, entertaining action to this little town in Texas once again. I won't dive into a super long review like I usually do, I think most of you that would be interested in reading this have read the first six books- and if you liked all of those- you will love this one.

Since my favorite character no longer appears in the books, I think I will settle for Michael being my new favorite- Myrnin coming in a close second. Something about his bipolar, serial killer, fanged bunny slipper-ness. (Yes, he rocks fanged bunny slippers! I love it!) Myrnin was great in this novel, probably the most involved character.

The first half of this book was relatively weak and a bit slow for me, but when I got to about page 100, it started getting really good. This is when all the real action started and I couldn't put the book down. Let me give you a quick run down, since I haven't done a good job of that so far:

"Fade Out" finds Amelie mourning the loss of her one true love and dealing with a city that is going through a period of rebellion. As she has not been herself lately humans and vampires alike are ravishing the streets doing outrageous things. Humans are slaying vampires and vampires are threatening Amelie's control. This needs to be stopped and Morganville needs to be returned to its once "peaceful" state.

So many relationships are being challenged in this book. We have Michael's relationship with his three friends being tested, as well as his more intimate relationship with Eve being rocked about. (I hope their relationship doesn't last, Eve isn't one of my favorite characters...) Eve is having trouble dealing with the fact that her honey is a vampire, and Michael is having trouble riding that thin line between being apart of the vampire community and being a friend to Shane, Claire and Eve. Hmm... who else is having relationship issues? Claire finds herself drowning in a pool of jealousy when one of Shane's ex-hook ups strolls into her life. It is really hard to deal with your own jealousy when a jealous computer (Ada!) is trying to slaughter you... with massive spiders, nonetheless. But who wouldn't want crazy Myrnin all to herself?

Didn't I say I wouldn't do a super long review? Gosh, I'm such a liar. Haha. I do like this series, but it isn't one of my favorites. These are good quick reads- I need a good quick read sometimes when my schedule is busy. (Finishing a book always makes me feel more productive. And believe me, you won't have trouble finishing this one!) I look forward to the next book in the series- I hope that Michael plays a bigger role. It was wonderful having Myrnin play such an involved role in this book... Michael's turn, please? Hehe.. 

Book Details: 
Published: Signet, November 3, 2009
Paperback: 239 Pages
ISBN10: 0451228669
ISBN13: 9780451228666 

Other books in this series in the order that they should be read:
1. Glass Houses
2. Dead Girl's Dance
3. Midnight Alley
4. Feast of Fools
5. Lord of Misrule
6. Carpe Corpus
7. Fade Out
8. Kiss of Death (April/May 2010)

    7 comments :

    1. Great Review and I agree with you, it isnt one of my fave series, though it is great as a quick read. However, The "Weather Warden" series, also by Rachel Caine is really awesome. If you havent read it you should, that one is definatelly one of my faves :)

      Grea Blog :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great Reveiw! I have read the morganville series, with exception of the last two. Its a fast read and the first two books were nice great tension. Will have to catch up!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Larissa, I have been on the fence about reading the Weather Warden series... I have the first one on my book shelf! I will definitely be reading that series sooner now that you've mentioned it!!

      Miss (LOVELY!) Tigris Eden, hehe, I love when you comment!!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. it is an amazing series with a very original kind of supernatural element. It caught me by surprise. The 9th book is coming out next august and the 8th was the best so far IMO :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Holy Crap! There are 8 out?! I really have to play catch up!! Haha. I love when a series has a lot of books out though... that way I don't have to wait around for another to come out. hehe

      ReplyDelete
    6. lol me too... Its soooo perfect, you just read one book after the other straight hehe :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. btw... you are not following me on twitter lol :P just thought I's let you know ;)

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin