Friday, November 13, 2009

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris


3 out of 5 Stars



My Review:

Well, ok, just like everyone else, I read "Grave Sight" because I was enamored with Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Series. (I lovelove Sookie!) So of course I wanted to check out the author's other work. I rated this book with 3 stars because it was relatively weak for me. I will however keep reading the series... I think it was just a first book blues. You know, you're getting to know all the characters so not much is happening. I still recommend this book to anyone who loves Charlaine's other work and those looking for a good mystery novel. 

The world in the Harper Connolly series is like our world- no vampires, ghouls or the like. However, Harper has a paranormal ability. She can find dead people and see them, along with the last seconds of their death. She can see how they died, not who killed them. These limitations are what make the story so intense and thrilling. There is a lot of the "who did it?" going on here. 

Harper is our reluctant hero here. She travels all over the country offering her services (of seeing the dead) for a high price. She isn't very well received by people, even those that she tries to help, because most believe her to be a fraud. Harper finds herself stuck living her past and she admits that this needs to change. She is a depressed, dependent heroine and this makes her very unlikeable in my opinion. I think that she'll grow on me though as her character develops and becomes more independent. I have to say that I am glad that Harper is very- I am what I am. No excuses. She has a relationship with her brother- this is who she is so dependent on. Their relationship is a little weird, I can't imagine having a relationship with my stepbrother like this. Then again, we weren't struck by lightning and didn't have parents addicted to drugs. =)

I have to say that even though I gave this book 3 stars, I couldn't wait to read the next. I was really intrigued by the progress both characters make and how they will be further 'developed.' I strongly recommend this book to anyone who likes the Sookie series or Bard series by Harris... This is also a great filler while waiting for the next Sookie books to be released! I can also say that this series DOES get better if you keep reading. So read it, it is relatively fast paced and a great quick read. 

Book Details:
Mass Market Paperback: 320 pages
Published: Berkley, September 2006
ISBN10: 0425212890
ISBN13: 9780425212899 

Other books in this series in the order they should be read:
1. Grave Sight
2. Grave Surprise
3. An Ice Cold Grave
4. Grave Secret

10 comments :

  1. I have been wanting to read this one too because, like you, I am a huge Sookie fan. I will definitely check it out and put it on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this series gets better as it goes! I can't wait to read the newest one that just came out. I've still gotta post reviews for #2 & #3, but I'm lazy =( haha

    Just checked out your blog, I think I'm your first follower!! (I love being first. haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series yet, but I have it on my TBR list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I've linked your blog to my page!

    http://readfreekreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other books in this series are pretty good too, they're definitely different from the Sookie Stackhouse books but in a good way I think. I'm glad you enjoyed this one for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. READFREEK- You should definitely read this series! I know my review of the first book isn't that good... but you will want to know what happens to the characters. The next 3 books have more action and get really good! I will link your blog to my page too. Thanks for doing that! I'm a newbie so I REALLY appreciate it =) I'm going to go check your blog out now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily- Yes, I did enjoy this book. It was such a refreshing quick read. I enjoyed #2 & #3 too. Didn't you think the series got better as it went?? I don't know if you have a blog, but I'm gonna check right now =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read the first books in 2 other Harris series because of liking the Sookie novels (although the latest ones haven't impressed me much...unless Eric is in them!) However, I didn't like either of them so never picked up one of these. Maybe I should. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alyssa,

    I didn't like the Aurora Teagarden series AT ALL. Now, the Lily Bard series didn't bug me too much. I kinda skimmed through those books just to figure out what happened to Lily. These books aren't nearly as bad as those two series, so if you like the Sookie books, you should try this one!! It gets so much better after the first book. Haha.

    Thanks for commenting =) =)

    RRR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great series, the 3rd book (An Ice Cold Grave) is my favorite of the series.

    :o)

    MsM

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin