Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk


 3 out of 5 Stars


My Review:
"Lullaby" was not my first Chuck Palahniuk book so I braced myself for what was to come. Once again, this book is INSANE and extremely creative. It keeps you on your toes. It was a nice, quick and thought provoking read. I love Chuck's well-crafted stories! 

The book is self explanatory by the title, it is about a lullaby. I haven't read it lately, I read it back when I was a senior in high school. (Ugh, I can't believe that was over 5 years ago!! Where does the time go!?) Anyway, this lullaby isn't all that it seems. It is a demon poem. It is death. It is a culling song. It corrupts our brilliant main characters- a real estate agent, a journalist and a couple of vegan wiccans.

Our journalist has been assigned to investigate SIDS, or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, when he discovers the VERY ancient culling song. When he uncovers the power of the song, and the damage it can do in the wrong person's hands, he sets out on a special journey with the real estate agent and vegan wiccans to remove this spell from every library, bookstore and home in the world.

This book was disturbing and powerful. So many awesome quotes from this book- "Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words WILL kill you..." I think a lot of my favorite quotes come from Palahniuk books.... The best book for quoting Chuck is probably Choke... crap, or Invisible Monsters. I can't decide. Lullaby isn't my favorite Chuck book, not even close. I won't read this one again. However, it is a fascinating read and I would recommend it to anyone just so they have the full experience of this insane journey.


Book Details: 
Published: Doubleday; September 17th 2002 

Hardcover: 272 pages
Isbn 10: 0385504470 
Isbn 13: 9780385504478

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin