Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

4 out of 5 Robots!
 
My Review:
Tempest Rising is Nicole Peeler's debut novel of the simply refreshing Jane True. I felt it was primarily Urban Fantasy, don't worry- there is plenty of romance to go around here too. What I love about this book is that it brings new characters to the surface of the paranormal genre that don't normally get much focus. Jane True is a selkie! How cool is that? 

I just want to touch on the cover of the book- I love it. I wasn't much into it when I first checked it out... It's a little silly, but I love that it is different than most of the covers I've been seeing lately. Although, I didn't even realize the chick was naked until someone pointed it out. I don't know what I was focusing on, haha, but I guess it wasn't her belly button. The tinge of purple everywhere is cute and I love the snakes around the top.

So, Jane True is our lovely heroine. She's always felt different and never really fit in- she attributes this not only to her mother's crazy history but the death of her first true love. For some ludicrous reason the small town she has grown up in blames her for his untimely death although it happened years ago. Now, unfortunately for Jane, she gets to uncover another corpse- just where her man was found. Her world is turned upside down as she unmasks all that the corpse was hiding. And, whether she likes it or not- she is about to be blown away with the details of her spicy heritage. 

There is plenty of action, love and mystery to keep you on your toes throughout this book. Peeler brings wonderful, likable characters to the table from all walks of life. For a new author, this book was better than I expected. She built an intriguing world but kept moving smoothly with the story. I wanted a fresh, light read with subtle humor- I got just what I asked for. (Ahem, seaweed pubes?) I think the next in this series will only get better, can't wait to read it. 4 out of 5 Stars, Jane True!

Book Details:
Published: October 27th 2009 
Mass Market Paperback: 344 pages
Isbn10:0316056588     
Isbn13: 9780316056588

Books in this series in the order that they should be read:
1. Tempest Rising
2. Tracking the Tempest (July 1, 2010)
3. Tempest's Legacy (No date set!) 

I got this book from:

8 comments :

  1. I gotta read this book. The seaweed pubes is what has got me interested. LOL! I really need to leave a serious comment one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this book recently, going to read it soon! =)

    great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute unique cover, and yes some kinky stuff involving seaweed could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, seaweed pubes? Wonderful review, I am definitely going to check this book out. It sounds like such a great fun read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bells. Seaweed pubes WOULD grab your attention. Pervert. PERVert. haha.

    Larissa- hope you enjoy!

    Pat- Thanks for hosting the book tour! I love these!

    Emme- Thanks for stopping by =) I'm glad you liked the cover too!

    Anna- I can't wait to see what you think of Tempest Rising!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really great. I had to dictionary.com selkie which made me want to read it more. And I love the cover. It's so dark purple and gothic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book Snob! That is why I love my kindle, it totally has the built in dictionary... I needed it for a few of the creatures in Tempest Rising! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin