Saturday, February 6, 2010

Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison

5 out of 5 Robots!

My Review:
Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison is the third installment of the Rachel Morgan (The Hollows) saga. Let me start off by saying I LOVE THIS BOOK. I love this series. I love this author. Alright, now that I'm done with that- on with my review. 

Rachel Morgan is a sassy, kick-ass witch and she has done something silly to put away one of the biggest, baddest vampires out there- She made a deal with a demon. So you can forget about broomsticks and pull out some lucky charms because she's gonna need them. 
 
Piscary, the big bad vampire that rules The Hollows has finally been convicted of some heinous crimes thanks to Rachel. That's right, Rachel promised to be a demon's familiar if he testified against Piscary. It worked. But now it is Rachel's turn to hold up her end of the bargain. Can she weasel out of being the familiar of a demon, escape the red tinged ever after AND keep her soul intact?

In the process of becoming Algaliarept's familiar she releases the previous familiar, Ceri, from a grim fate. Rachel is now faced with escaping Al's grasp and keeping Ceri from Mr. Kalamack... Ceri is a great character, she's beautiful, smart and learns to stand her own pretty quickly. I found myself craving  to know more about her- I mean, come on, she was a demon's familiar for 1000 years! I hope we get more information on her in the books to come. She is simply fascinating. 

Jenks, my beloved pixie, did not play a big part in this book. I was sad about this- he's an awesome character and integral part to my Hollows experience! I can always use more Jenks and less Ivy. Anyway, he finds out that Rachel knows what type of creature Trent Kalamack is but didn't trust him with the information. His ego and trust in Rachel  is bruised and he takes his family and moves out of the church. This was only okay with me because another fun character was introduced- David Hue. David Hue is a lone werewolf and quickly becomes a close, trusted friend. I'm hoping that he becomes a big part of Rachel's story. I love you, David Hue. I love you, too, Kim Harrison for creating wonderful supporting characters!

Why am I so enamored with the characters in The Hollows!? I either absolutely love them or hate them. (I hate Ivy, Rachel's roommate. She annoys the CRAP out of me. However she was much less annoying in this book than in the previous two.) I'm not saying much about Rachel's man, Nick. He's boring and she has moved on. On to Kisten. Oh, Kisten. For you paranormal romance lovers- Chapter 21 is for you. It's delicious. Steamy and delicious! 

This is one of my favorite series and I've only read 3 of the books so far. I can't wait to keep going. Kick-ass fight scene? Check! Sarcastic banter? Check! If you love action, magic, humor and brilliant creatures- read this book. Kim Harrison brings all that and more to the table in magnificent, magical levels.


Other books in this series in the order they should be read: 
3. Every Which Way but Dead
4. A Fistful of Charms
5. For a Few Demons More
6. The Outlaw Demon Wails
7. White Witch, Black Curse
8. Black Magic Sanction (February 23, 2010)

Book Details:
Published: July 1, 2005 by HarperTorch

Mass Market Paperback: 501 pages
Isbn10: 006057299X
Isbn13: 9780060572990
 

6 comments :

  1. I am going to have to read this series. It sounds so good! I know you're been talking about this for a while. Your review by the way was kick ass! You write really well. It has the perfect blend of information about the book, without giving too much away, and comedy. I love to laugh while reading a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! IS this a serious comment from our Hells Bells? I just, I don't even know how to respond! I'm flattered though, compliments from you are hard to come by. LOL, just kidding. Love ya! I'm so glad you enjoyed my review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorites series! Excellent review :) If you love this series have you read Kelley Armstrong?

    Lindsey The Book Guru @ http://thebookgurugrl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of the Kelley Armstrong books. Do they read like these ones?! I'm seriously regretting holding off on those books if they're anything like The Hollows series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hollows series is awesome, I have them all. Kelley Armstrong writes great books as well. Have you tried Kim Harrison's YA series, I liked it as well.( but The Hollows is more awesome than the ya books)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing about how great Kelley Armstrong is! I have got to get on with reading her books!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin