Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett [Review]

The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5)5 out of 5 Robots!


The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett
Series: Discworld #41/Tiffany Aching #5
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release: September 1, 2015
Hardcover: 276 Pages
Publisher: Harper
My Copy: Purchased
Reviewer: Shannon


Book Summary:
A shivering of worlds.

Deep in the Chalk, something is stirring. The owls and the foxes can sense it, and Tiffany Aching feels it in her boots. An old enemy is gathering strength.

This is a time of endings and beginnings, old friends and new, a blurring of edges and a shifting of power. Now Tiffany stands between the light and the dark, the good and the bad.

As the fairy horde prepares for invasion, Tiffany must summon all the witches to stand with her. To protect the land. Her land.

There will be a reckoning…


(Courtesy of the Publisher)

Shannon's Thoughts:
This was a bittersweet read for me.  Out of all the Terry Pratchett books, the Tiffany Aching series was my favorite.  I was very happy to read another, but sad to realize this is the final book in the series due to Terry Pratchett's death earlier this year.  Like I said, bittersweet.  

But, I do think this is a fitting send off for Tiffany's story.  It was deeper and more introspective than the others as Tiffany deals with the loss of a mentor and finding herself taking on more responsibilities than she ever thought she would.  Tiffany struggles to balance her desires with her responsibilities.  Basically, Tiffany is growing up.  I think most people can relate to Tiffany's feelings.

The other plot thread is a call back to the very first book in the series, involving the Fairy Queen.  I really liked the resolution there too.  Everything was brought full circle and, again, I felt it was such a fitting end.

The only part I was disappointed in was that the Feegles do not have as big of a part as I would have like.  They are my favorite part to the series, so I was sad they weren't in the book more.  

Overall, I think this series deserves everyone's attention!  Speculative, yet tongue-in-cheek, just as Terry Pratchett does best.

Books in the Series:
1. The Wee Free Men
2. A Hat Full of Sky
3. Wintersmith
4. I Shall Wear Midnight
5. The Shepherd's Crown

1 comment :

  1. A Hat Full of Sky is only $5.99 right now, I should get it, but The Light Fantastic is $4.99 and I have read The Color of Magic, so it is a hard choice. I get paid every two weeks and I get paid this Friday, so I will probably end up getting both. Lol. ;) Thanks for the review and the Tiffany Aching list. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin