Thursday, November 5, 2015

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo [Joint Review!]

4 out of 5 Robots!
Six of Crows By Leigh Bardugo
Series: Six of Crows #1
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Release: September 29, 2015
Paperback:  465 Pages
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co
My Copy: Library
Reviewer: Julia & Shannon

Book Summary:
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.(Courtesy of Goodreads)


Julia & Shannon - Joint Review! 

1. What are your feelings on this Grisha spinoff as a whole?
Shannon:  I was so excited!  The Grisha-verse is one of my favorite "worlds".  I also love that this series focuses on a part of the Grisha-verse that wasn't very well known from the Shadow and Bone series.  It felt completely separate, yet familiar at the same time.  I love that.
 
Julia: I am so thrilled that Leigh Bardugo decided to continue with the Grisha universe. The universe and Grisha are so fascinating and Bardugo is such an awesome story teller. I also love how separate this is from the other series, like Shannon said. It's an entirely separate journey with the same feel.

2. Did you like the alternating viewpoints?
Shannon:  I did.  But I like 3rd person.  Yes, you may not get into the deep inner workings of a character's mind, but I feel like you have a much more complete picture.  And rotating between the viewpoints kept things fresh and interesting.  I felt like you got to know the characters not only from their personal thoughts, but also from how they were viewed by others. 
 
Julia: I loved it. Kept the story fresh and moving. I get a better feel for every character with the switching of viewpoints. And the story felt whole that way. The characters are more vivid and alive - easier to feel a connection with. 

3. How does this compare to the other Grisha books?
Shannon:  I have a very special spot for Shadow and Bone.  It felt so exciting and different. I haven't quite fell in love with the characters in Six of Crows as much as I did in Shadow and Bone.  And Six of Crows is less romantic, with a darker tone.  But I can also say that I think Six of Crows was a better written and stronger book overall
 
Julia: This book is right on par with Leigh's other novels. It is well written, unpredictable and feels unique. I love it just as much as I do her other novels!

4. Did you have a favorite character, least favorite?
Shannon: I'm not sure I liked one character over another.  I liked parts of each of them.  I think my least favorite was probably Matthias, but it's by a small margin.
 
Julia: I keep trying to decide which character entertained me the most. I can't. They're all intriguing, witty and have depth.

5. What about the ending?
Shannon: I thought the ending was a tad predictable, but definitely left me excited and anxious to read the next book. That epilogue about killed me because I had so many questions! 
 
Julia: Boo! I didn't want it to end! I knew a little of what was to come, but it is still a solid ending. Though it will leave you dying for the sequel.

6. Rating? Recommending? Are we reading more?
 
Shannon: 5 stars!  And yes, definitely recommended.  Leigh Bardugo 4 Life!
 
Julia: Definitely five stars! And everyone should read this. Leigh Bardugo fans, people who aren't fans, fantasy fans.... everyone. I will read just about anything Leigh Bardugo writes.
 

1 comment :

  1. Grisha! I still haven't read my Ruin and Rising yet because I got spoiled on a no spoilers review by the first comment on the blog post. The blogger and I both think the person did it on purpose. Since then I have had no motivation to get it read, but I will eventually. The synopsis for Six of Crows wasn't all that appealing to me, except for it being set in the Grishaverse, so I am going to wait and see if the ebook goes on sale after Christmas. I am happy you both liked it. It makes it a little more appealing to me. Wonderful review, thanks. 😊

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin