Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward

5 out of 5 Big Golden Stars from me!

My Review:
Brilliant book- just awesome! JR Ward completely came back from the last book- this one was so much more intriguing to me! (I was a little underwhelmed with the previous two books, but boy is Ward back to avenge the other BDB novels- haha!) So do NOT give up on this series, "Lover Avenged" lived up to its title. It has everything I asked for - magnificent (modest) hero/heroine in the illegal entrepreneur Revhenge and nurse Ehlena, intimate love scenes, complex plot...

Ward is truly brilliant in that she can make the audience fall in love with a drug dealing, pimp such as Revhenge. Other than Zadist, I think Revhenge is my favorite vampire. Never thought I would say that after our first introductions of Revhenge as Bella's grumpy and overprotective older brother in the previous novels. But now that we finally have him figured out and the history of Revhenge is in the open- he is just as beautiful as Ward pegs his nurse Ehlena to be. Both Revhenge and Xhex were unlikeable to me until this novel. Geesh, now I love them - way to go, Ward.

Now we have the lovely nurse Ehlena as the newest main character. She was bold, adventurous, courageous, a parent for her mentally ill dad and reacted in just the ways I felt I would in her situations. You find yourself heartbroken for her situation and feeling just how unfair life can be. But she takes it in stride and makes good with what she has, never really complaining or being whiney. I have to admit she really pissed me off in the beginning with how she treated Rehv. These two obviously belong together and they were both being totally silly. As cliche as this sounds- Ward had written it so that it really felt like a situation you could relate with. Will probably be my favorite couple in the entire series...IF John Matthew & Xhex never get together!

My favorite part of this novel may have been the deceit that Wrath put Beth through. It brought the romance back and added some heat to the plot. I was really hoping when reading the last few novels that Ward would bring some of the relationships of the other characters to the forefront of another book... and here she did it with Wrath and Beth. Thank you, Ward! I got what I needed.

Sex scenes were pretty incredible in this book- super steamy. No skimping on details. I found myself blushing a few times ;] Also, all the characters have cameos in this novel- the only one I don't recall having any dialogue is Cormia, but she is mentioned in passing.
Ward also has Xhex mention a BDB member Muhrder, who went rogue to save Xhex. Can't wait to hear more about him, I'm hoping we do in the next book. Payne, the twin to V, also makes a quick appearance to wrestle Wrath... and 'wake him up.' (Lots of cliff hangers that keep you wanting more!)

"Lover Avenged" has the brotherhood making smartass remarks at one another that will make you laugh out loud. It is awesome, I forgot how funny the brotherhood could be. So much humor in the book! It really assists in alleviating tension that builds up in the plot. For instance, when Wrath questioned the effectiveness of a bullet-proof vest he was wearing because of how light it was- V recommends he strap a garage door or maybe a car to his chest. SOOO many great moments like this in this book.

Your heart will break with John Matthew... and then again with Xhex as they both like to screw around with each other's (and their own) feelings. I know a book is good when I feel like my heart is breaking along with a character. I'm praying this is all resolved in the next book, it will be an outstanding story... especially with all the history we get on Xhex in this book. You will be like, AGH TELL ME MORE!

Long book- but I couldn't put it down. There are so many plots going on at once and they're all intertwined... never was confusing though. It is easy to keep up with. Hopefully you can't put it down either!

Well- I loooooved this book. Ward is back and I think I'm happy I've got this book in hardcover! No swapping or trading for me =) There is so much more for Ward to tell us....

Book Details:
  • Hardcover: 527 pages
  • Publisher: Hardcover; April 28, 2009 by NAL
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0451225856
  • ISBN-13: 978-0451225856
Books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series in order they should be read:
  1. Dark Lover
  2. Lover Eternal
  3. Lover Awakened
  4. Lover Revealed
  5. Lover Unbound
  6. Lover Enshrined
  7. Lover Avenged
  8. Lover Mine (Release Date: April 29, 2010)

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin