Sunday, November 8, 2009

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


 5 out of 5 BIG GOLDEN STARS!

My Review:

Boy, Suzanne really delivered it with Catching Fire. I read this book in less than a day. Talk about addicitive, there was no way that I could stop reading... I mean, the last sentence to every chapter left me craving for more. I felt like a word junkie. Haha. Great cover? Check. Great binding? Check. Cliff hangers? Check. Romance? Check. Violence? Check! I believe this book may have had the best cliff hanger of all time, I'm literally fighting a growing knot in my chest for the next novel. (I need my FIX. I need book 3!!) I read the last page 3 times. I should have written my review after I cooled down a little ;o)

This book was intense. Just like in the previous novel, my favorite aspect was the Games. There is compassion, hatred, fast paced action, betrayal... Everything you could possibly want from the Games. Just like in the first installment, you're in for a wild ride with Katniss Everdeen.

I think I still favor The Hunger Games over Catching Fire, but I was not disappointed. I loved this book and I think there was a slight bit more humor- I liked that. Suzanne Collins hit another grand slam.

Catching Fire is divided into three parts: The Spark, The Quell and The Enemy. The story picked up right where the previous book left off- Katniss and Peeta's Victors Tour to each district. Peeta is emotionally wounded because Kat confessed she only "loved" him for the games. It just seems as if all the most important relationships in Katniss's life are strained in one way or another. Enter President Snow. He visits to ensure Katniss convinces all the districts of her love affair with Peeta, which he knows is a fraud. He has been watching her and has put a threat on the lives of all those she cares for. If the districts believe Katniss is defying the government, it could be the spark they need to begin uprisings every where and President Snow must put a stop to this.

Katniss is our reluctant hero. She is the new face of rebellion. And with that, the Capitol decides to take her and the mockingjay out with a very special type of Hunger Games.

I only have a couple complaints about this book, and they really don't matter because this book is one the best I've read in 2009. I wish the Games was longer and I wish we would have seen more Gale. However, he works in the mines now so he isn't around quite as much. Boo. I do love Peeta though, it was great that he was always around.

If you haven't read the first installment of this series- READ IT. Then read this one. I think these books could make awesome movies. Just think of seeing the tribute costumes on the big screen! I know most avid readers don't like their favorite books made into movies, but I don't care- this series would be brilliant on a big screen.

I hope you enjoy the complexity, secrets, cliff hangers and all the plot twists and turns as much as I did =)
 

Book Details:

  • Hardcover: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic, September 1, 2009
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0439023491
  • ISBN-13: 978-0439023498
Other books in this series in the order they should be read:
  1. The Hunger Games
  2. Catching Fire

6 comments :

  1. I agree with you, Catching Fire is awesome, except for one thing, after the cliff hanger I am dying for book three, and we don't even know what it is called even though it rumored to be called the victors]


    http://themockingjay.vndv.com

    http://themockingjay.vndv.com/forums

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - Hunger Games will be in theaters 2010 or 2011. I'm not sure but it's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa, I saw that it will be made into a movie... Holy crap I am so excited and can't wait! I visit http://themockingjay.vndv.com because he seems to compile the latest news on the series pretty well =) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I LOVED this book! Both books are so amazing and I agree, the cliff hanger was insane... argh, I NEED bk3 NOW LMAO

    Great review!!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh btw... I see that you're reading Kim Harrisson! I LOVE her Rachel Morgan series!!!! so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming over and checking mine out! I'm so glad you finally read these! I knew you would love them! And gosh, I'm so obsessing over The Hollows right now. I want to stop and read Flirt ... but I can't. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin