Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


5 out of 5 BIG GOLDEN STARS!

My Review: 
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is frightening, romantic, and fascinating all at the same time. There aren't enough adjectives there, let me add a few more- addictive, violent, fast. (I loved the violence.) I literally could not stop reading. When I picked this book up, I didn't put it down except to shower and eat dinner. Nothing was stopping me, either. (Good thing I read it on a Saturday so I didn't have to get up early when I finally went to bed!) The characters here are exquisitely  developed and the setting is eerie and bizarre in that it is just too plausible. (Collins really sold this world to me- I swear I was THERE.) 

The Hunger Games is a glimpse into the future of our society as we know it now. The United States (or all of North America, really) is gone and what is left has been divided into 12 Districts that are controlled by a callous group of Peacekeepers living in it's Capitol. Not too hard to comprehend, right? ;o)

Now we have Katniss Everdeen who is a dependable, hardcore teen who has spent years eluding  authority by illegally hunting in the woods that surround her district and taking care of her starving family. (She only has a mother and a younger sister.) Her sister Prim is selected in a random drawing to compete in The Hunger Games. Our courageous Katniss can NOT let her 12 year old sister go through with this as she will most certainly not make it out alive.... So she steps in to take her place in this game of survival of the fittest. It's an insane game of survival and death, where the winner takes all, while the people in every district watch in sadistic elation. (You must be the only one living at the end of the game, which means you probably end up killing children from other districts. So sick!) 

It is ridiculously impossible for me to pinpoint what I found the most compelling about this book. There were so many things! Constant cliff-hangers, fast pace, romantic subplots... And then our poor Katniss with her strength and will to survive. It's hard to watch her struggle with the loss of human lives while trying to protect herself and not succumb to the game and its players. 

This book went beyond 5 stars for me! I am posting this review because I finally got my hands on the sequel... I'm about to start it today. (I can't believe I waited so long!) Now, after I probably finish it this evening, I'm going to be dying for the third in this excellent trilogy. 

By the way, brace yourself for an emotional fit! I had a few heart attacks, broken hearts and tears for this book! Yeah, it is that good. I hope you enjoy it as much as me =)

Book Details:
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Press (September 14, 2008)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0439023483
  • ISBN-13: 978-0439023481
Books in this series in the order they should be read:
  1. The Hunger Games
  2. Catching Fire

4 comments :

  1. I really like your first sentence because it is so true. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are some of the best books I have ever read, the only thing wrong with Catching Fire is that, after that cliff hanger I am literally dying for book 3.

    http://themockingjay.vndv.com

    http://themockingjay.vndv.com/forums

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it. Great review.I haven't read Catching Fire. I always get swayed to read other books. But after reading Eric's comment saying that it has a killer ending I need I'll read it next week. I'll go back to your page to read Catching Fire so I can compare reactions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! It took me awhile to read Hunger Games because I was always swayed into picking up another book too. Boy did I regret that after I read it. Haha... Catching Fire wasn't quite as intense, but it was damn good too. Can't wait to see what you think when you read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wonderful review. I'm so looking forward to these books!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin