Friday, November 20, 2009

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison




 4 out of 5 Robots
My Review:
The first book in The Hollows Series, Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison, was packed with action to the max. I love fast paced urban fantasy novels- and this suited my needs in so many ways. I just wish there was a little bit more character development, but I'm sure I will get my wish in the books to follow. I hope no one lets the cover scare them away... does this chick have a rat tail? Haha. I am not a huge fan of the cover, but this book exceeded my expectations. Don't pay too much attention to the back blurb either- I don't think it suits the book well. Luckily, I really enjoyed myself anyway! 

Rachel Morgan lives in a world where all the country's money went into bioengineering... The scientists screwed up in a big way. A virus they were experimenting with got out- in a batch of tomatoes. The virus wiped out lots of humans. Those that were lucky enough to survive the virus are now facing the fact that there is another type of human. One that is no longer a minority... Ah, this is where our Inderlanders come in. Inderlanders are the humans (and nonhumans) with mystical abilities... Weres, Vampires, Witches, Elves, Pixies...  Now that the Inderlanders are no longer a minority, they take control and live amongst humans in the open. There is some segregation and prejudices as all of this is still pretty new.  (The bad tomatoes got out only a generation ago.)

Rachel Morgan is a witch and bounty hunter (they call them Runners). She breaks her contract with the company she was previously working for along with a friend, Ivy- a living vampire. Now she is on the run from her previous employer because of one problem- no one breaks their contract with the IS and lives to tell about it. So all the assassins that wish to collect the reward for Rachel's head are on the prowl. Can Rachel escape the death threats thrown at her by the IS?

The book starts out a little cheesy but quickly grew on me. I love Rachel's attitude and found the book immensely entertaining. Super light read with some good humor. Jenks, a sarcastic pixie that assists Rachel, talks nonstop and makes me smirk relentlessly. There isn't any romance in this book, I don't mind that. I LOVE my smutty romance scenes, but with all the fast paced is-she-going-to-die action I didn't miss it. Besides, our heroine doesn't have time for dating as she spends most of her time as a rodent, in disguises, almost dying and catching criminal Inderlanders.

I have to admit, I was still thinking about what Miss Morgan was up to when I put the book down. I was a bit confused though about how Rachel's actions contradicted her insecurities. Then again, I think it is an inner battle she fights with that doesn't reflect on her work. ;]

I can NOT wait to find out more about the characters. The author did a great job of leaving some things unanswered so that I anticipated the next read. I definitely suggest anyone into Urban Fantasy genre read this... I know the series gets better because I've finished the next book. (I'm slackin' on reviews. What else is new? Haha)

Ohhh... I almost forgot. I want Trenton Kalamack. I don't know why. He is the villain, but I love him. I am enamored with this bad guy! I need to know more about him! He actually irritates me less than the main characters. Wow, how brilliant is Harrison that her main characters irritate me and I'm still hooked on the series? I think that the whole situation and the personalities of the characters are very plausible to me. Read the book! Harrison is an excellent story teller! (4 out of 5 Robots!) 

Book Details:
Published: HarperTorch, July 1, 2004
Mass Market Paperback: 416 Pages
ISBN10: 0060572965
ISBN13: 9780060572969 

Other books in this series in the order they should be read:
1. Dead Witch Walking
2. The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
3. Every Which Way but Dead
4. A Fistful of Charms
5. For a Few Demons More
6. The Outlaw Demon Wails
7. White Witch, Black Curse
8. Black Magic Sanction (February 23, 2010)

7 comments :

  1. I have been dying to read this series! Great review hun! I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I have the whole series and have been meaning to finish it up, I need to get on with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started the first book a while back and stopped... I felt it wasn't for me...

    a few months later I decided to give it a another chance and BAM! I completely fell in love with Rachel and her world... I read the whole series and I am expecting the new one :)

    Great review Rex...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great review. UF is hit or miss with me, but this one sounds like I might like it so I put it on my TBB list.

    :o)

    MsM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ur button and banner :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these books. I want to be Rachel when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being Rachel when I grow up sounds like a good idea!! Haha. I'd like to be an IS Runner... but only if I was a living vampire or witch... or elf. aha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin