Friday, November 6, 2009

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost


4 out of 5 Stars

My Review:

One Foot in the Grave brings us Part II of Cat & Bones. It packs a hard punch and leaves you craving more. I LOVELOVED this book. Great read- I would recommend it to ANY paranormal fan. I also absolutely love the covers of every book in this series! This is the second installment of the Night Huntress Series. Now, for the goods:   

The flow of this book and its plot is so smooth- the dialogue is witty and made me giggle. Frost packed this baby full of action and yummy love scenes. (Caution: These scenes are HOT! haha) There is one love scene that was very unique and EXTRA spicy- haven't read a love scene quite like this before. Yay for new ideas!! I love Jeaniene Frost.

Something else that struck me as peculiar- Frost began this story FOUR YEARS after the ending to "Halfway to the Grave." That is also pretty unique in itself. I can't decide if I like that we lost 4 years of Cat & Bones being delicious or not. Either way- I love 'fresh' ideas, and I don't read many paranormal romance novels that do this. During this 4 year time lapse, Cat has spent all her time as a federal agent, training her own speciailized team of vampire killers. Is anyone else glad they didn't have to read about Cat training a bunch of men? The guys on Cat's team are great and hilarious- a wonderful addition. I hope they're a big part of the series. Now. Bones. Bones. Bones. I love anything and everything about this gorgeous man. Hopefully Cat persuades me more in the third installment that she is better for Bones than I am ;o)

Now...Training and maintaining a special ops group is not all Cat has done in the past 4 years. She has spent her personal time pining and trying to adjust to a life without Bones. She has failed- she still constantly has him at the back of her mind. Finally, she is trying to conquer her feelings for Bones when she begins dating Noah- a vet. While attending her best friend's quickie wedding, she runs into one of the biggest surprises ever. An unexpected guest. She reunites with her old buddy when things heat up almost immediately. (MMMMmmm...) Not to bring the mood down (hehe), but there are then several sudden attempts on Cat's life at this point... And she is forced to trust her boss, her friends, her crew and even Bones once again. Is trust as easy as it sounds? She seems to think so- However those that surround her don't. During the search for the person (or thing?) that put $$$ on Cat's head, facts begin to pile up about her heritage that she hadn't known. Uh oh. 

The only thing that I missed in this book was that Cat seemed more innocent and naive in the first book. But, that just means we have had some awesome character development and Cat is growing up and seeing the world for what it is. I don't think there were quite as many funny one liners in this book, but the book still made me laugh here and there. Like I said about the first in this series- I will never trade this book in for another- it is a keeper on my bookshelf. I can't wait to read more!! 

Book Details:
  • Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Avon (May 1, 2008)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0061245097   
  • ISBN-13: 9780061245091 
 
Other books in The Night Huntress series in the order that they should be read:

  1. Halfway to the Grave
  2. One Foot in the Grave
  3. At Grave's End
  4. Destined for an Early Grave

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin