Friday, February 26, 2010

Blue Moon by Laurell K. Hamilton

5 out of 5 Robots!
 
 My Review:
Blue Moon is the eighth installment of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. A good friend of mine got me all sorts of  addicted to this series. I love so many things about this series and LKH's writing, but there are a lot of things I dislike about it too. Luckily this novel didn't contain many of the things I've found myself to dislike. Hamilton really kills it, ahem, in this novel.
 
By this time, Anita has chosen Jean-Claude. (Yesss!) Hold that excitement, she still loves Richard and he is in trouble. A member of his family has called Anita to the rescue. Richard is in jail and needs help out of one sticky situation. We all know that Anita could never refuse a call for help... especially from Richard. The plot of this one had me on pins and needles- intense, full of suspense. I had a hard time putting this one down. So much action.

Anita is constantly pushing her boundaries, which is fun for the reader. I like that Hamilton writes it smoothly so that it never really seems out of Anita's character. She won't ask anyone to do anything she isn't willing to do herself... Pretty dignified, if you ask me. Though this leads her to do some pretty torturous things to save Richard's family. I'm talking literal here. Ugh. I will never understand Richard and Anita. Richard is whiny, self righteous and annoying. My least favorite character. Although Richard does not appeal to me, his character is very well developed. The things he does makes sense as he hates who he has to be and who Anita has become. I have to hand it to Hamilton, no one does anything out of character in her novels. One of my biggest pet peeves.

I always find myself more enthralled with secondary characters than I should. Asher, Jason... I'm more into them than Jean-Claude. Despite the enormous amount of controversy surrounding this brilliant series, this book is totally worth reading. I haven't read this book for awhile, so the review was a little hard for me to write. I've finished the entire series with the exception of 'Flirt.' I have it, I just need to read it! Can't wait.

For my reviews on LKH's other work, click here.To check out the Anita Blake Challenge hosted by Book Chick City click here.

Other books in this series in the order that they should be read: 
The title links below take you to Amazon.com.


Book Details:
  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Berkley Hardcover (December 2, 2008)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0425223833
  • ISBN-13: 978-0425223833

16 comments :

  1. I need to get back into this series. I think I'm up to Narcissus in Chains or so. Problem is, they are becoming more and more formulaic, and my librarian friends tell me it gets worse, and they haven't been happy with the last 7 or 8...
    I did like this one, though. It felt more like the beginning of the series, but w/ JC sex/ Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one, though I despise Richard. I think the way they hop into bed is kinda corny and contrived. But the basic plot and the development of the other characters, especially, Jamil, Damian, and Asher kept my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misty, your librarian friends were right, they got worse. I felt like books 9-16 were hit or miss with me.

    Haha, and I think that is why I loved it too- it was like the beginning of the series but with sex! That's how #17 was for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annarkie! I agree totally and feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this series..especially the earlier ones! I still need to read Skin Trade!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the series as well , although I like the Merry Gentry series a little more. I am also very annoyed with Richard , he does get on one's nerve. I am addicted to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this series though I agree with some of the comments. I felt that she began to focus more on sex and less on the interesting world that she had created. I want more vampire politics and plot line and just a little less sexual content.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only read book 1 and just couldn't get into it. Well it was at the begging of my Paranormal reading. Do you think I should go back and read the series? And great review by the way. :)









    '

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandi, Skin Trade was awesome. It reminded me of the earlier ones!

    Nastassia, glad to hear someone else doesn't enjoy Richard. =) I have a couple of the Merry Gentry books, I just need to read them. I keep hearing good things!

    Lindsey, I agree about vampire politics > sexual content. I hope the rest of her books for this series have more plot line!

    Bells, you only couldn't get into the first book because Anita had morals back then. LOL, don't worry she loses them all eventually ;] I'm kidding, I know you can read books with little to no sexual content. *snicker*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read some reviews of this serie and sound really great thanks for info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To be *very* honest, the very first time I heard about this series was when Book Chick City announced the challenge on her site. So, my knowledge about it is next to none. Though I wonder what is it about this series that you like and dislike?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by, Haku!

    Shy, thanks for being honest. LOL. What I didn't like about this series with books ...10? through 16 is the strong sexual content. I mean, I don't mind that in my books, but they didn't have a very strong plot. It went straight from Anita sleeping with like, 1 guy to 20. Haha. I still love the books and the series though. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have never read any of L. Hamilton's books! But I have them.
    I should get crackin on it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I havent read it but i like it^ the cover is so blue xD

    PD. im in the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  16. O...M...G! I absolutely love this series. I have all of the books in the series. I just love Anita and all her men. I don't have a favorite. I couldn't pick just one! They all just seem to grow on you...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin