Monday, February 22, 2010

Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris

3 out of 5 Robots!
My Review:
Grave Secret is the fourth and final installment of the Harper Connolly series by Charlaine Harris. This is a short and sweet series about a young woman that can sense the dead after being struck by lightning. 'Grave Secret' is a very solid conclusion to the Harper Connelly saga. We have all the mysteries solved and the plots wrapped up.

Throughout the first three books Harper struggles with the loss of her sister. She can sense the dead but has never been able to sense her sister. Is she still alive? Who killed her? Where is her body? Well, we finally learn the questions to all these answers and even unveil a few other family skeletons. I do feel a little cheated with the story Harris provided for Harper's sister Cameron... but it did wrap things up nicely and covered all aspects of the plot.

Harper and Tolliver are hired to work for the Joyce family. They have money to play with and find Harper intriguing so decide to have her read the old family cemetery plot. (Their grandfather has recently passed away and they want to know if Harper is the real thing.) She discovers that their beloved gramps has kicked the bucket in a less than natural way- and so has his caretaker. The murderer gets nervous that Harper is closer than she should be and becomes obsessed with stopping her from finding the truth. Yikes- we've got kidnappings, shootings and murders... poor Tolliver even takes a shot to the arm. As if they don't have enough going on in their lives, Tolliver's creepo dad is released from jail. They have to revisit their past in all sorts of new, painful ways. Apparently he wants to mend the fences and make things right.... but Harper assumes he has other motives. And as we know *this is a small world after all* and Harper may have found an unlikely link between her own family and the Joyces...

Now that Harper and Tolliver have finished up a job for the loaded Joyce family, they have to face their biggest challenge yet. That's right, they're coming out as a couple. This was hard for me to swallow in each novel because Harper and Tolliver used to be step-siblings. This would not have been as hard for me to swallow if Harper would not have kept accidentally referring to Tolliver as her brother. I wasn't really into where Harris took Harper's personality. I felt as if she became stranger in the previous novel as well as this one- doing things that did not fit her personality.

SO. It is completely obvious that we're seeing the last of Harper Connelly for now. We have Cameron's murder wrapped up, the situation and rifts within the Connelly/Lang family somewhat settled and last but not least- Harper and Tolliver's romantic subplot. The interconnected clues and lies are fun to play with, although some things a little far-fetched. Wait, what am I saying, this is a book where someone can sense dead people! Just like in the previous Harper books, we have some light humor and a gruesome edge. That's right, Harris likes keeping her murders gory!

I would suggest that a person read the first book in this series and decide from there whether or not to move on with these books. I don't think, by any means, that you could read this book and enjoy it much without reading the previous books first. This is a good series for those who love mystery and Charlaine Harris. 

Other books in this series in the order that they should be read:
Title links take you to my reviews, Amazon links take you directly to Amazon.com
4. Grave Secret - Amazon 

Book Details:
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Berkley Hardcover; October 27, 2009
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0425230155
  • ISBN-13: 978-0425230152

    11 comments :

    1. Another great review. You are an awesome writer. You write just enough without giving away too much of the story.

      I personally will probably not read this series. I'm not a big mystery lover. I get bored and what to know the answers right away.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm so glad you like my reviews. I write them just for you. Hehe!! I can't wait to get Bound to Please!! I'm going to read the EFF out of that. Literally. Haha.

      Don't read this series, Bells. I don't think you would like it. I could have done without reading it, honestly. I'm a mystery skimmer too. =) I need to know what happens.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Fantastic review! I wonder if the writing of this book is somewhat familiar with the Sookie Stackhouse series?

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hey, Shy! I don't think the writing for this series is that similar to the Sookie Series at all. It is more like Charlaine's other series- Aurora Teagarden and Lily Bard. (I love the Sookie series!!!) Thanks for stopping by =)

      ReplyDelete
    5. I actually think it is like the Sookie series. I love them both though!

      ReplyDelete
    6. You're right, it definitely is written kinda like the Sookie series. I just loved the Sookie series so much more. Dang, not long before the next one comes out!!

      ReplyDelete
    7. well I think bye the story this book deserve more robots but well I'd like to read it more to have a better opinion maybe my rating will be the same your I don't know but I guess is interesting, send hugs!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Haku, I thought the plot and story deserved more robots too =) But it just read too slow or something. I still really enjoyed the series though! Sad to see it end.

      ReplyDelete
    9. OK Rex thanks for answer me and sorry my english XDDD my english sucks.

      ReplyDelete
    10. rhanks for the review^^ the book is so cool^^

      PD: im in the giveaway!

      ReplyDelete
    11. To read or not to read? That is the question. I have mixed vibes about Chalaine Harris. Although, I heart the True Blood show. lol

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin